BREAKING: Following the publication of this story, health officials in Gunnison County said that the initial case of COVID-19 in Gunnison would be reclassified as a Denver case. This story has been updated to reflect that information.
Map: Gunnison County is now among seven counties in Colorado with at least one case of the COVOID-19 Virus. Courtesy of CPR
Health officials have confirmed the first case of COVID-19 in Gunnison County. The patient is a female in her 40s who had both a recent history of travel and symptoms consistent with COVID-19. The patient is currently under isolation in her home in Denver. Officials are investigating others with whom she may have had contact. The state health department confirmed the case Tuesday morning and announced the news in a press conference held by Gov. Jared Polis in which he declared a state of emergency in Colorado.
You can help limit the spread for your community, your family, and yourself by washing hands regularly, staying home if you are sick, and calling a doctor if symptoms occur. Do not show up at a medical facility unannounced. More information can be found on the Gunnison County Health and Human Services web page, or by calling the Colorado Help Hotline: 877-462-2911.
How to Learn More
- Gunnison County Health and Human Services has a number of resources available on their web page.
- Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) updates this page regularly.
- Here are some general Public Health Recommendations from CDPHE that include guidance for businesses, institutions, and social gatherings.
- CDPHE has also created this Fast Facts page.
- The Centers for Disease Control