KBUT is seeking a part-time radio News Reporter and Host for NPR’s Morning Edition. We are looking for a talented, fast-learning, and passionate journalist. This person will assist the News Director in providing a continuous stream of news for all of KBUT’s outlets, including daily newscasts, live events, and online platforms. This is a great entry-level opportunity for self-driven professionals seeking development and on-the-ground experience.
- Local host to NPR’s Morning Edition from 6 a.m, to 8 a.m. on most weekdays.
- Assist News Director in providing daily local news content, including spots, features, and digital stories. This will include curating stories from content sources and in-house reporting.
- Misc. shared responsibilities including public events, live broadcasts, fund drives, and office duties.
- Serve as the voice and ambassador of KBUT to the community at public events and when called upon.
Qualifications – Preferred
- 1-3 years of professional or educational experience in journalism, broadcast, or a related field.
- Audio production experience.
- Website design and programming experience.
Qualifications – Required
- Strong public communication skills: Confident speaker and proficient writing skills.
- Basic computer literacy, including social media.
- Passion for learning more.
- High journalistic standards.
- Takes direction well and learns quickly.
- Ability to stay calm under pressure.
- Punctual, consistent, and trustworthy.
- Passion for community radio and the mission of KBUT!
- Desire to serve your community.
- Up to $21,500/year based on experience. The position will also include opportunities for additional income through the station.
To Apply, sending the following to News@KBUT.org:
- A cover letter: Tell us what you love about radio, news, story-telling, or whatever it is that interests you about the job! Please try to keep your letter to less than a page and-a-half.
- Three pieces of writing, reporting, or audio story-telling production. We would like at least one piece that demonstrates a similar style of reporting that would be performed in this position. We encourage you to listen to our daily newscast at KBUT.org.
- Contact information from three professional references. If you want to, you may include a note from your references about why you are a good candidate, but this is not required.