



Jackson Petito &lt;jackson@kbut.org&gt;

---

## Board Minutes 5/30/23

1 message

**Dan Bostick** <danielthomasbostick@gmail.com>  
To: Jackson Petito <jackson@kbut.org>

Wed, May 31, 2023 at 12:15 PM

**In Attendance**

Jackson Petito (ED)  
Dave Colucci (President)  
Bryan Wickenhauser (Vice President)  
TJ McIntyre (Treasurer)  
Dan Bostick (Secretary)  
Mike Loperfido  
Chris Coady  
Autumn Clark  
Laura Silva

Tyler Lucas (staff)

**Board meeting Call to order: 5:31****Approval of last meeting minutes**

Dan: reads minutes from last meeting  
TJ motion to Approve  
2nd by Dave  
All in favor

**Dave: Financial / treasurer's report**

Dave: Audit Was completed on time.  
All of our committees are coming to the reality of needing a 3 year revue of events

**Jackson: CPB update**

TJ (Treasurer) and Molly (CPA) will be in touch directly  
TJ: Has a budget been established?  
Jackson: Yes, ready to go. Can run budget vs. actual now.  
Jackson: Can't do financial filings until audit and that was done May 13. Passed with flying colors. Will start the process 4 months early next year  
All CPB funding (~\$135k) came in early May  
ED report shows we are in a huge tier, can't let our community support go below \$300K, above \$400K now  
More support means more support from CPB  
In the next 2 months we have to finalize our report and review with CPB then final approval. Approved enough already that payments have been made.  
Laura: Were we in the negative previously?  
Jackson: Yes, because the money hadn't come in.  
TJ: Do you have a feel for where cash is right now?  
Jackson: We have total cash on hand \$473,000 currently. Never been in better standing with CPB IMO.

**Dave: Development Committee update**

We've never really utilized this committee. How do we develop the station? Do we adjust the events that we've had? The audit presented a lot of questions.  
The Kampout took a lot of work and netted about \$3000. Is it the best event going forward? So we should do a 3-year review of this, expenses, profit, and review by the development committee.  
Jackson: That's me, I'll put it together.  
Dave: Happy that Laura is on the Development committee. Came up with some new event possibilities - 80's summer party (Summer theme), Elevation Halloween Party, Mardi Gras Parade (Winter Pledge Drive)  
We would like to see a higher end Gala or Ball. Creating an endowment is something we're discussing as well. The Gala would fit into this. Maybe take some funds out of our Money Market accounts to seed the endowment.  
Events should be raising more money and more eyeballs with less work.

Board -A -Thon event. Board should call and thank our underwriters.

Summer Soiree August 29th

Raising our pledge drive amount to \$75K. We've been goal specific in the more recent pledge drives and have been very successful.

Curating Vinyl: We could solicit donations and have a library.

Live performance in studio broadcasts

Finally KBUT Hall of Fame, put pictures of significant persons in the lobby.

Laura: What is a community outreach event and what is financial? For instance Mardi Gras may be more community outreach.

Wick: Emphasize, Gunnison is biggest population base. Don't forget the importance of the south valley. Events have been more CB specific.

Jackson: Major donors is a major road for growth and we need more Gunnison participation from that base.

TJ: What is the mix like?

Tyler: Anecdotally it's about 50/50 CB/Gunnison. Most major donors are in CB.

Tyler: The recent Hartman Rocks BBQ was helped by a community grant from Gunnison

Chris: How do we keep that engagement going?

### **Events Committee Update**

Jackson: Fish Fry coming up, please volunteer

Wick: Kampout has Ozomatli headlining, Easy Jim, more local bands. If KBUT really wants to make money on the Kampout you have to spend the money to get the big name acts.

You have to be brave but the name recognition really helps.

Jackson: I'd rather spend more money on one big band than 3 or 4 bands that don't bring in people.

Laura: \$3000 is not a lot of profit for the amount of work that goes in. We need to step it up.

Dave: Would like to look at these through the lens of fiscally productive events.

Dave: I'd like to bring up the Summer party idea again because we need to move on it soon

Autumn: What about the Gala, when would that be?

Dave: We need to develop this, no time yet. What about the Summer Party?

Jackson: Seems too late at this point

Tyler: I'd second that, we already have a full calendar.

Wick: I already have the Goonies 80's cover band, Friday July 14th. If KBUT helps marketing we could make it an event.

Tyler: Could we make it a free concert?

Laura: I'd like to help but the timing is not good for me to work it.

Dave: Let's table it for now and discuss later.

Laura: If we want to do the Halloween party at Elevation we need to start planning now. Is this something we want to do? It would be a new event, maybe in place of Zombie Prom which has fallen off.

Dave: Would like to plan this and move it to committee

Tyler: We're already in talks with Elevation (new owners) and town of Mt Crested Butte.

### **Tech Update/ Discussion of Mitchell and Company proposal**

Jackson: Main studio will have new studio console in the studio, June 20th or next week.

Mitchell and Co. proposal is still in the weeds.

Dan: Let's have a Tech Committee meeting and review.

Jackson: I will schedule that.

### **Strategic Planning retreat**

Jennie Bernie will be reaching out to interview all board members and set agenda. Board members, key staff, special people (maybe Andris)

Tyler: makes sure she touches base with Community Advisory board

Dave: Maybe we move that Community Advisory Board into a KBUT board meeting. My neighbor is on the board and expressed an interest in working together on the endowment.

TJ: Do we have anyone that will get info ready before the meeting?

Jackson: Yes I will ask Jenny and get anything ready before the meeting.

### **KBUT Van**

Dave: proposal is we get an awesome van that can create a mobile party. Broadcasting live equipment. Generator. Maybe work with an auto dealership to help with the cost. Wrap the van with graphics.

Park it in Gunnison, park it on Elk Avenue. Would love to put this together and ask committees to specify what they would like out of it.

I move to talk about the Van in committees next month:

Laura: 2nd that motion.

Laura: last meeting I wanted to go to the town council to get a variance on capacity at the Center of the Arts for the Disco but the Center didn't want to stir up any problems.

Dave: Jackson? How do we present this?

Jackson: We can state that Gunnison has offered money for us to have a party there. We're not asking for money, we just need a variance to expand our event in CB.

Laura: We can provide a parking plan and transportation also, maybe run a bus from/to the school all night.

Jackson: Ask Dara what is the procedure to make this happen. I can reach out.

Laura: We need to start planning next March. Otherwise we need to think about moving the Disco to another venue maybe Mt Crested Butte.

Dave: let's move to make a plan to reach out.

Jackson: I can reach out

### **Next Meeting**

Dave: sometime in July

Jackson: In person meeting? July might be the worst month for that though. Will send out a Doodle poll.

Dave: Motion to adjourn?

Jackson: Would someone motion to move to Executive session?

Dave: I move to move to Executive session

TJ: I second.

All in favor

6:56pm In Executive Session

7:28pm Back to Regular Session

Dave;:Motion to adjourn

Laura: 2nd

All in favor

Meeting adjourned 7:29pm