

Jackson Petito <jackson@kbut.org>

# **Board Meeting 7-19-23 minutes**

3 messages

**Dan Bostick** <danielthomasbostick@gmail.com>
To: Jackson Petito <jackson@kbut.org>

Fri, Jul 21, 2023 at 11:51 AM

### **KBUT Board Meeting 7/19/23**

Attending:
In person
Jackson Petito (ED)
Dan Bostick (Secretary)
Dave Colucci (Pres)
Mike Loperfido
Chris Coady
(via Zoom)
TJ McIntyre

Call to order: 6:08

Approval of 5/30/23 meeting minutes Dan Bostick moves to approve Dave C seconds

#### **Treasurer's Report**

Dave: Substantial growth in revenue, over \$100K more raised with underwriting and membership

Expenses came up higher than anticipated and budgeted Expenses are expected to continue to increase going forward Tech expenses are very high

recir expenses are very night

Jackson: Network upgrade was expensive and not budgeted

Chris: Is this an ongoing thing?

Dave: it was a major upgrade and IT related projects, we should proceed with caution

**Bostick**: Network upgrade is probably a 10 year upgrade

Dave: It's the consultation work that is really expensive and not something that adds to our assets

**Jackson:** we got these quotes from Mitchell and Co. after budget was approved. We needed an essential upgrade to be able to upgrade the new studio consoles, then computers died and we just bought new ones ourselves.

**Dave:** Our year to date overall costs went up more than budgeted in lots of areas, staff is bringing in more revenue but costs are rising at the same pace

**TJ:** I am late pulling this info together, just got all the files from Jackson and Molly. Will summarize, 2021-2023 budget, should express budget in quarters going forward, Fiscal year open Oct 1. How soluble is KBUT, how much cash vs. expenses. Compared to last year this time we are down \$77k in cash but total cash balance is \$380,000 (6 months of expenses) Should have a cash strategy related to how much time do we have in cash vs. expenses. We should have 6 months at least going forward as a goal. **Dave:** That's a good picture of the finance committee where we are at. We had a big reduction in cash, but as the year goes by we should be gaining cash and saving it. Pledge drive coming up.

**Jackson:** Monday 24th Board will call donors and ask people for money phone bank style. \$70K goal is our biggest yet. 7/31-8/11 which is when the Kampout begins.

Chris Coady: I saw some aging accounts receivable. Some underwriters who haven't paid the bills. Should we (board members) maybe contact them?

**Dave:** on the development committee meeting we discussed a cloud based HR management, Tech Committee might search for a solution for A/R aging accounts, automatic correspondence with people who owe us?

#### **Committees Structure and Overview:**

**Dave:** Should meet every other month when a Board meeting is not scheduled. Then we can not spend so much time in Board meetings discussing certain topics. Chair will schedule meetings and lead meetings, Committees should get stuff done. **Jackson:** If you see something coming up that needs board approval you can ask to be empowered before the next committee meeting.

## **Committee Reports:**

**Dave:** Finance already reported. Development committee - Dave is Chairperson. Tyler suggested an event report to quantify all the things KBUT does. Example Kampout, form will show total revenue, expenses, net profit, objective #s and subjective items, headcount, # of volunteers, staff hours worked. We can then look at past events and plan for new events. Tyler will create the form and track it. Non Events might be referred to as Outreach. Defining stuff that is happening in the year is Events, but stuff proposed in the future is Development. Asked for the review form to be filled out for 4 years past.

Pledge Drive - Board-a Thon July 24th donors \$250 on up. 5:00pm. Staff is pulling in \$125K more so far, raises should be considered based on performance

Summer Soiree: August 29th Dogwood, Board will be invited and encouraged to bring a friend with emphasis on possible donors. Personnel committee did not meet. Would you (Chris Coady) be interested in Charing that committee and meet in the next month?

(via Zoom)Yes, and I'll get some direction from jackson on what to address.

#### **Tech Committee**

**Dan:** Mitchell and Co estimate \$991 a month for remote monitoring and service labor. That's too high but really hard to decipher what all these charges are for.

We're currently not paying these fees so are we actually getting any of these services?

Jackson is going to ask a series of questions:

What are our alternatives?

What is hardware and what is subscription

Are you currently monitoring for free or are we unmonitored for months?

If unmonitored can't we just keep doing that and call you when things break?

Can we do a quarterly plan and take chances on some monthly fees?

Is there a higher cost based on just paying as needed when things go wrong?

What's the difference between virtual and cloud server/services?

Would they be willing to take partial trade in underwriting?

If this is the final proposal can you give us a annual lump sum estimate and we can ask for a donor to support?

\$500 a month is more what we are hoping for. Maybe \$5000 -\$6000 a year monitoring plus as needed service.

Ask him to rate importance of itemized costs.

Dave: Can we find another alternative to Mitchell and Co.?

Jackson: A year ago they were the only choice. That may have changed.

Dave: There a lot of cloud based solutions for things, let's see if there is a remote option for some of these needed.

**Jackson:** There are a few network things we need Mitchell and Co. to be doing related to the console install, so I don't want to rock the boat just yet.

(via Zoom)Eric the engineer noted that he engineers and infrastructure that built this station in 1999 were done really professionally and made his job easier.

**Events Committee:** no members present.

(via Zoom)parade was awesome. Even the parade should fill out the new Event Form so we can track the impact **Jackson**: Fish Fry was most successful ever

Next event is Kampout 11-12 August, we may broad cast live one or both nights, Comrex is now working

**Dave:** any remote events we can do we should do, we could sell the idea that KBUT could broadcast your event, DJs would be very excited to do remote broadcasts, integration of this technology could bring KBUT to the community, it is a powerful tool that we should be using, this is how we stay relevant

**Jackson:** The push back you would have gotten from me was that you need 2 staff members, one person would need to be at the station, but now I can do it remotely from my laptop, no dead air

Dave: Live events, news events, now that we don't need a person at the station while it happens I think it's a great technology

# Studio Upgrade Final Update

Dave: Eric killed it. it's awesome

Jackson: turntable problem is being fixed

## Pledge Drive preview:

Jackson 7/31-Aug 11.

Prizes: everyone that enters early bird entered for prize - 2 tickets to Kampout VIP passes. Other prizes are camp chair, light up frisbee, etc. T shirt, bike hat

**Jackson:** Folks want t shirts, people give money and want a t shirt, not drive specific but we need a regular KBUT shirt people can buy for \$25

Kampout preview:

**Jackson:** please spread the word on your personal social media **Dan:** Do we need a Spanish language poster for the Kampout?

Dave: YES! (fist bump)

Scheduling committee meetings or setting deadline to do so **Dave:** Chairperson should schedule meetings and take notes

Dave: anything else to add?

Meeting going forward are 3rd Weds of the month at 6pm, next one is Sept. 27th

Dave: look over the Strategic Planning draft I just sent. We're going to have that draft be a part of the meeting in Sept.

**Jackson:** We'll be approving a budget too but the strategic plan goes hand in hand. If we get this done in Sept it will be the first time we'll approve a budget before the fiscal year starts!

Dan: one more thing for TJ ad I who are filling out terms for vacant seats. Are we serving out vacant terms with new terms added?

Dave: You were elected to fill out the vacant terms

Jackson: I will send a memo with the details.

TJ: please send out the by-laws

Dave: move to Adjourn:

Chris: Second

All in favor

Adjourned 7:44pm

#### Jackson Petito <jackson@kbut.org>

To: Dan Bostick <danielthomasbostick@gmail.com>

Thank you. I really appreciate how automatic you make this process

[Quoted text hidden]

\_\_

Jackson Petito
Executive Director
KBUT Community Radio
90.3 Crested Butte / 88.7 Gunnison
jackson@kbut.org
970.349.5225

**Dan Bostick** <danielthomasbostick@gmail.com> To: Jackson Petito <jackson@kbut.org>

Thanks, Jackson! dB

[Quoted text hidden]

Fri, Jul 21, 2023 at 1:59 PM

Fri, Jul 21, 2023 at 2:01 PM